Monday, February 27, 2012

The City Project

I thought I would take some time to let you all know what I am going to be up to this summer. This post will be follewed with a similar post in the near future in which I will explain a few things a bit further.




This summer I am participating in a program at The Summit Church called The City Project. In this project, I will be exploring many facets of Christian ministry. I will be serving on 2 missions trips, taking a seminary class, living with fellow Christian brothers, being discipled by Summit pastors, helping out in the student ministry, interning at the Summit, and interning at a non-profit in the community. 




For the missions trips, I will first be spending a week in New York City. We will be serving in Queens assisting a church planter in his mission to witness to the Muslim community in the area. I believe that this trip will really open my eyes to see the beauty of relational evangelism, and will certainly get me out of my comfort zone in witnessing to strangers with different beliefs. I am excited to break out of my shell and do something different with my walk in this experience. The other mission trip is a 2 and a half week long international trip. The three destination possibilities this year are Kenya; Belgrade, Serbia; and Taipei, Taiwan. After much conversation with Summit College staff, I believe that I will be headed to either Taiwan or Serbia. In Taiwain, the team will be in an extremely dense, urban area full of univiersities and university students. The team will be helping with programs for the college students as well as witnessing to the university community and building relationships. The Serbian team will be working with Muslim Roma Gypsies and their families, as well as living in a community with many broken people who desperately need the Gospel if Jesus in their lives (although, don't we all?). Either one of these opportunities sound like a fantastic choice for me, but obviously I am going to be slightly biased towards Taiwan as that team will be working with college students, which, as you know from my previous post, is what I want to do with my career.




As far as the internships in Durham go, I am not entirely sure of what I will be doing. I know that one of the community internships is an urban tennis clinic, which sounds like something that I would love to do. For my internship at the Summit, something in either pastoral or college ministry sounds like it would suit my preferences well. I am very excited about living in downtown Durham and getting to know the community as well as building relationships with other people on City Project. I think this will be fun as well as a learning and stretching experience. 




The City Project starts on May 29th and concludes on July 27th. I will be in Durham a few days, then off to NYC for a week, then back in Durham for the 4 weeks of ministry and then off to my international destination! I really can't wait to start, but before I go there are some significant roadblocks I need to get over. The first of which is the support raising. I have to raise $4500 to be able to go on City Project. Yikes! They Lord is already stretching me and showing me that if I try to raise that money without His help, I won't be able to do it. He is also showing me that one of my biggest weaknesses is prayer. I know that a key aspect of support raising is prayer - both myself and others praying for this blessing. I have heard that over and over. Yet, my prayer life sucks. This is a great opportunity to learn to be disciplined in prayer, and to give God thanks for all He does for me, every day. I'll talk a little more about support raising in my next post, but here is a heads up on my summer plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment