Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fairness.

Stop me if this sounds familiar:

"But mom, how come I can't go with my friends?"
"Because I said so!"
"But that's not fair!"
"Life is not fair!"

...Ok, so I know, you can't stop me, I'm writing a blog :) But you understand what I mean: We are all, at some point, under the impression that life is just not fair. There are terrible people in the world, terrible things happen, and not everything happens as we think it should. Quite simply, life really isn't fair. But what if it was? Let's think about this in a Kingdom sense (and when I say Kingdom sense, I am talking about the Kingdom of God, this world that He has given us in which to live and spread His love). IF life were fair, and God just gave us what we deserve, and everything was equal fairness between Him and us...

We would not go to heaven
We would not be able to interact with the Lord like we do
God would punish us like we deserve - which would not be fun, to say the least
There would be no grace to cover our sins
There would be no mercy to forgive us for when we do not do what God wants

and the biggest kicker, the one that assures us that God treating us unfairly is certainly the best:

Jesus would not have come down from Heaven, not have ever lived, not have performed miracles, not have taught us so much of what we know and model our lives after, and would not have died on the cross for our sins.


On the cross, our sin, all of our sin, the thing that separates us from God, was transferred to Christ

.....This is as unfair as it gets!!!


It is absolutely not fair for someone so perfect, God's only son, to come to earth and die a sinner's, criminal's death! Christ did nothing wrong in His entire life - all he died was preach truth and perform miracles - yet he died on the cross for us: It was unfair for Him to take our sins.

So the next time you catch yourself saying, "Life is not fair!" or hear someone else say it, just send a quick prayer up to Heaven and say, "Lord, thank you so much that life is not fair! I am so thankful that you love me so much that you sent your own Son to die for my sins, and gave me a medium to speak to You and worship You through Your Son."

1 comment:

  1. Amen. So Gospel-centered. We are justified because of Christ's work; because of the Gospel. Thank God we need Him!

    ReplyDelete